What I originally thought would be a 30 minute project actually transformed into a 2 week long venture in the basement. Thus illustrating the point: when you start a home project, be prepared to get more than you bargained for.
I received a vise to use for woodworking projects and set about to attach it to the countertop of the already existing workbench in the basement. I quickly realized the countertop was actually a thin piece of particle board attached to a solid frame and would not stand up to the stress of long term use.
The before view of our shop.
The answer seemed simple enough. Go down to the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, and purchase an appropriately sized board that would be far more durable. I found an old slab of butcher block that was a bit larger than needed, but I thought I could simply cut it down to size. When I came home, I began to remove the old wood surface but then realized I would need to also remove the back pegboard to get to the last nails holding the surface down. So, I was prying the pegboard back when mouse droppings began to roll out from behind it. I opened it up to reveal this:
It seemed the little fella passed away some time ago, so I wasn’t worried about an ongoing problem, but I still had to clean it all out. Buried under the rubbish was also an x-rated 8mm film reel and a flyer for it, a relic from the early 70s it seemed. It too was discarded among all the other mouse droppings and nest scraps. But not before Amanda ran upstairs to get us these “sanitation masks.”
Once I had swept up the area, it was clear that some deeper sanitation was required. I cut and threw away sections of the old wood frame and applied vinegar and KilZ to areas that were obviously nasty.
At this point, it was clear to me that the frame would have to be rebuilt as well. After a long dismantling period, I salvaged the bulk of the wood and nails from the existing bench. At this point, I decided to rebuild the frame larger to accomodate the larger sized butcher block surface. But not before accidentally breaking a light bulb, adding broken glass to the list of clean up duties.
Exactly like the old frame only slightly bigger
The completed bench minus the vise
So, all of this over two weeks was for this:
And that’s why when you start a simple thirty minute project, don’t be shocked when two weeks of your life fly by before it’s finished.
Post by Lanny